From Pine View Farm

Blazin’ 5

’nuff said

A fire that started in a man’s pants pocket, critically injuring him and destroying his hotel room, was not ignited by a cell phone as authorities suspected, phone technicians said.



  1. Phillybits

    January 19, 2007 at 10:40 am

    So um…what did start the fire?

  2. Opie

    January 19, 2007 at 6:15 pm

    It sounds like they don’t really know:

    “He could have been smoking a cigarette, the cigarette fell into his pocket, and it started on fire,” Vallejo fire inspector Bill Tweedy said. “We don’t know that. We weren’t there.”

  3. Phillybits

    January 20, 2007 at 10:48 am

    Yeah because, um…although I don’t smoke anymore, for the 15 years or so that I did, I was dropping lit cigarettes into my pocket like…all the time and I too never felt that burning sensation growing in my pocket until well after my pants had already become ablaze and set everything around me ablaze as well..

  4. Frank

    January 20, 2007 at 7:31 pm

    I had a professor at college who set himself on fire by putting a pipe in his pocket before the class. He had not made sure the pipe was out.

    This was back in the days when you could smoke, like, in public.

  5. Opie

    January 21, 2007 at 4:24 pm

    Richard Pryor once said something to the effect of “people notice you when you’re running down the street on fire.” And he had the authority that comes with first-hand experience.