A Pox on Your Chickens 0
TPM does the math and figures how many chickens it takes for health care in the U. S.
- Total U.S. health care costs in 2008: $2.3 trillion
- US population: About 300 million
- Average cost of health care per person: $7,681
- Average weight of a chicken: 5.9 lbs
- Market price per pound: 85 cents
- Average spot price per chicken: $5.02
- Average number of chickens per resident needed to cover health care costs: 1,530 chickens
- Total number of chickens needed to cover United States health care costs: 459 billion chickens
- Estimated worldwide chicken population: 16 billion chickens
- Current worldwide chicken shortage to cover U.S. health care: 443 billion cluckers
Maybe if we throw in a can of gravy.