- We want out teachers to be the best in the world, but we pay them so little that teaching as a profession can’t compete for talent with higher-paying jobs.
- We demand that our food supply be safe, but always buy the cheapest we can find.
- We want good roads and good schools … but don’t want to pay property or fuel taxes to support them.
- We want to buy our stuff on Amazon (which is largely exempt from sales taxes) while wondering why local businesses die and local governments (which depend on sales taxes) don’t seem able to get our streets cleaned in the snow.
- We insist that our universities ought to charge low tuition while refusing to pay taxes to support universities.
I could live with all of this (and much more) if we weren’t so damned hypocritical about it.
Read the rest.