We hold these truths to be sacred and undeniable; that all
men are created equal and independent, that from that equal
creation they derive rights inherent and inalienable, among
which are the preservation of life, liberty, and the pursuit
– Thomas Jefferson, 1743 – 1826
The country shall be independent, and we will be satisfied
with nothing short of it.
– Samuel Adams, 1722 – 1803
It is my living sentiment, and by the blessing of God it
shall be my dying sentiment, independence now and
– Daniel Webster, eulogy for John Adams and Thomas
Jefferson, 2 August 1826
It’s easy to be independent when you’ve got money. But to be
independent when you haven’t got a thing, that’s the Lord’s test.
– Mahalia Jackson
Diversity: the art of thinking independently together.
– Malcolm Stevenson Forbes, 1880 – 1954
Mad, adj. Affected with a high degree of intellectual independence.
– Ambrose Bierce, The Devil’s Dictionary, 1881 – 1906